The 30 Week Plan

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yep, I have a plan. It is a 30 week plan. It is a plan that will hopefully get me from my piddly 5K/10K runs to a Half Marathon, 13.1 miles. I’m not sure about this but I have a plan.

Why?
I’m not sure why. Maybe I’m crazy. I’m not really driven or competitive so it must be that I’m crazy. I had been toying with the idea for a while but never really gave it much serious thought. I always had excuses like, “My toes hurt after 4 miles, how can I do 13.1 miles?” Well I guess I’ll have to figure that out. Now most of your half marathon plans are nice little 12 week or sometimes 16 week plans.  But I have 30 weeks before the half marathon so why wait, I’m starting now. If I wait until January or February to start I may chicken out. By starting now, I have the train’s engine in motion, I just have to keep it on the track.

15K…Gulp!
I always thought, half-heartedly, that I would do a half marathon and left it at that. I never acted on it. Well, finally, I acted on it. Now I haven’t signed up for the half marathon yet. No I’m not chickening out or making excuses. Well I guess I am. I can’t register…registration isn’t open yet. But I made a very important step in the right direction. I signed up for my first 15K…9.32 miles. Eek! This race is going to be part of my 30 week plan. The 15K is two weeks before the half marathon so that will be a good “training” run.

13.1 Miles...you said miles
According to Hal Higdon (a running guru), “Don't worry about making the final jump from 10 miles in practice to 13.1 miles in the race. Inspiration will carry you to the finish line…” He says I can do it, I can do it.

May 3, 2015
That is the date for the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon. It goes from Wayzata to Excelsior with many parts along Lake Minnetonka. Funny story, a few years ago a weatherman who recently moved to the area said one day, “it is a beautiful day tomorrow, a great day for a stroll around Lake Minnetonka.” Lake Minnetonka is 125 miles around. Thankfully this run is just 13.1 miles.

It is just a Half
I don’t know why I’m making a big deal about it…this is just a half marathon. A lot of people do full marathons and don’t write long blogs about it. Well I'm just planning on doing a half  and I just blogged about it. So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment