Salzburg, Austria

Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 1, 2011 – 10:14 pm (3:14 pm CT)
Wow…three entries in one day, I’m getting good at this. Salzburg is much like I remember. We got here about noon and hit the ground running. We did a walking tour of all the major sights. We took the lazy way up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress via the funicular. I love that ride. Anyways the line was übber long for the state rooms so we decided to skip it and just venture around the grounds. This is by far my favorite place in Salzburg. The markets were still going in the Domplatz (the main square by the Cathedral and Town Hall). Like Munich all the fountains are under wood to preserve them so that sucks but what are you going to do? They had an ice skating rink set up in the Mozartplatz. Unfortunately the glockenspiel is under renovation until the end of January so we didn’t get to see it, oh well. We finally had a good meal which lasted about 2 hours. We were way UNDER dressed for the place but we just look like stupid Americans. Fortunately this restaurant was next door to our hotel (and provides the hotel with room service). When we got done we wanted to get some authentic apple strudel to go and when they brought it out in a plate we were shocked. The waiter proceeded to tell us to take it with us! How weird. Boy did I feel stupid carrying out this large plate of warm caramel topped apple strudel but it was so good it was worth it. Tomorrow is our infamous Sound of Music Tour. I saw infamous because at one time I told Eric that I’d take him on our own SOM Tour but we wouldn’t see the church, the abbey, the gazebo or the house. To which he replied what do we get to see?…I said the bridge and garden…he said what kind of tour is that. The one requirement before I would agree to the tour was that he had to watch the movie with me before we left. He complied so we are going on the tour. Well it is almost time for bed. Tonight’s “American TV/Movie in German” is My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Gute Nacht!!

No comments:

Post a Comment