More Birthday Week Fun

Saturday, August 3, 2019

We had planned to run on Wednesday after work but it was a beautiful day for the Valleyfair water park. This will be hard to believe, but this was the first time we visited all year!!!!  It was almost August and we hadn't been to the water park. Crazy!

Thursday is "Buck Night" at Canterbury Park so we watched some horses run around a track while eating our $2 hot dog, $1 pop and $1 popcorn. Some of the items have doubled in price this year like the nachos are now $2! We couldn't figure out where they were so we didn't get them. After the fact, I found them at the cantina. We lost terribly. I guess that is what we get for picking our horses based on names (like "Philo" and "Wanamingo") and not by ability  The last one was a complete failure. There were 12 horses in the race and when the gates opened there were 11 horses up front and my horse just trotting along 50 yards behind them. It eventually decided to run and finished 6th. Not bad but another $2 bet down the drain. Hahaha!

Friday night was our latest Twins game. It was fireworks night!  The game was quite exciting with many ties and lead changes. We finally won the game but not before the pre-fireworks in the 8th inning when the Twins's newest pitcher, Dyson, nearly blew it. He is just like the vacuum with his namesake...he sucks. We got him in a trade from the Giants. His first game he gave up 3 runs without getting an out! His second outing last night was nearly as bad with two runs before finally getting two outs. He allowed a few more on base before they pulled him for the other new pitcher, Romo. He is awesome and got a 4 out save. Phew!

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, Target Field has this in the hallway. 

After the game we got stuck in some traffic. When the Willie Nelson Concert, Fiddler on the Roof and the Twins all get done at the same time, it causes a major traffic jam. It took us 50 minutes to get out the parking garage. We knew it was going be a while so we watched the scene down below on the street and boy were we not disappointed. Some girls were walking down the street yelling at a girl in the car. Well the girl in the car jumped out (leaving her driver door open) and came running out to her. There was hair pulling, scream and some blows...quite entertaining. They finally separated and the "car" girl starting walking back to her car when the "walking" girls must have said something because she came sprinting towards her and more hits, hair pulling, and screaming. All the while this girl's car was blocking an already jam packed street. Lots of fun!

To celebrate Eric's birthday, and to get an extra hour of sleep, we booked the Holiday Inn in downtown St. Paul for the night which is right by the start of our 8K race. After all the chaos getting out of downtown Minneapolis, we didn't get to the hotel until after midnight. Yawn!

This morning was the Race for the Kids 8K. It was a disaster. The first mile was ok the rest was crap. It was so hot and humid...I'm totally screwed for the Cleveland half in two weeks. 

This race also has a skating half marathon. I saw a nasty crash. There was a guy pushing an Angels cart (so disabled people can participate) and he was passing a runner when the runner stepped right in front of him. There was nothing he could. He crashed and the scariest part was the angel's cart flipped completely over and the poor disable person was being crushed. Stupid runner. I'm sure he had headphones in and didn't hear the skater. ARGH!  They got the cart back upright and thankfully the rider had a helmet. He seemed shaken up but otherwise was ok. They eventually passed me. 

The sad part about this race is Officer Benny is gone. He was a great St. Paul Police officer that worked all the Shepard Road races. He was the only bright spot on a horrible race course. He was so energetic, high five-ing everybody and so supportive. He passed away unexpectedly a couple months ago. He was so popular that the news covered his sudden death. 


No comments:

Post a Comment