40 races for 40 years

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I’m turning 40 this year. I know GASP! The goal I made for myself late last year was to run a marathon before my 40th birthday. I had planned in running it in November this year. Well as you can read in my last post, I completed that already in Little Rock…8 months early. I guess I’m good at accomplishing goals. LOL!

Well there is still almost 10 months before my BIG BIRTHDAY so I thought I need to come up with a new goal…

40 Races During the Year I Turn 40. 

Good thing for me is my birthday is 4 days before the end of the year so I literally have most of the year to get this done. When I came up with this new goal and told Eric, his response was, “I wish you would have decided that in January and we would have done more races in January and February.” I guess he is right. More of a challenge right?

At this point right now, March 14, 2017 (Pi Day), I have 288 days left to finish my goal and I’ve only run 4 races. So 288 days divided by 36 remaining races = 8 days. Yikes, that is one race every weekend until my birthday. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Eek!

Additionally, my foot is hurting and the sports doc thinks it is tendonitis but there is a potential I have a stress fracture that isn’t showing up on the x-ray yet. He didn’t tell me to STOP running but encouraged me to bike or swim instead for a couple weeks. So I have that to deal with too. But I figure until my foot is healed, I can still walk and so the next few weeks’ races will probably be mostly walking.

So here is the plan for the next two months:
Sat., Mar. 18, 2017 - Hot Dash 5K (Minneapolis)
Sat., Mar. 25, 2017 - Luck of the Irish 7K (St. Peter, MN)
Sat., Apr. 8, 2017 - Scheel’s Spring Mankato 5K (Mankato, MN)
Sun., Apr. 9, 2017 - Goldy's 5K (Minneapolis)
Sat., Apr. 15, 2017 - Hot Chocolate 15K (Minneapolis)
Sun., Apr. 23, 2017 - Race for Women 5K (Madison, WI)
Sun., Apr. 30, 2017 - Oshkosh Half Marathon (Oshkosh, WI)

That leaves only 29 more races to go!

Most of the races that I’m added to my schedule will be 5Ks because I’m not crazy enough to run a half marathon every weekend. Oddly enough the only race that I could find the weekend of April 1st was a 25K and I’m not throwing a 25K into the mix! I thought for sure there would be some April Fool’s Day themed race but there is not. Maybe I should start one! Just kidding.

Friends and Family, you have been warned, you may not get to see much of me this year because I’ll be racing.



No comments:

Post a Comment