Valentine’s Day 5K

Sunday, February 12, 2017

It was a perfect day for a 5K. It was 40 degrees at the start, no wind, no snow, no rain. It was amazing. I was a bit cold at the start waiting around but once I got started I, of course, got HOT. One thing I learned today was that running vests are annoying to run with when you get hot and you have to care them because there are no sleeves to wrap around your waist. Duh!

This year the race was at Lake Nokomis instead of Lake Harriet. This is awesome because I love Lake Nokomis, I lived near there for a year and went swimming in the lake and rollerbladed around it many times. Last summer, between work and Twins games, we would go running around the lake. So I know this place and it isn’t hilly like Lake Harriet. I was very optimistic.

The first mile went well. I thought for sure I was going to break my slow 5K streak. I was feeling great and mile one came in at 12:30. I did the math and thought I got this. Well that came to a screeching halt during mile 2. I started needing walking breaks it was very frustrating. My time plummeted even though I tried to run faster. Mile 2 was 12:59. I was happy that it was still under 13 minutes but it wasn’t pretty. Mile 3 was a complete disaster. I was reading somebody’s shirt and miss stepped in a pothole. Rolled my damn ankle. DAMMIT!  I walked it off and started running again. It was really a struggle. I saw the finish in sight and tried to “sprint” to the finish. And my pace does reflect that I did well running the last part of the race. Mile 3 was 13:37 but my pace for the sprint in was under 11:00…lately that is fast for me. Overall it was ok. My time was 40:31…so I beat 41 minutes…so yay I guess?


I followed that up with an 8 mile long run in preparation for my next half marathon…in 22 days.





No comments:

Post a Comment