Hurricane Irene, you pain me!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Who would have thought a Category 1 hurricane would cause me so much grief! I know I shouldn’t worry about my vacation; I should be thinking of those who are struggling after Hurricane Irene, and I do. I hope everybody is alive and well and that the damage is minimal. But I have to figure out what we are going to do on the last two days of our trip. At this point I have 3 hotels reserved for the same night; hopefully I can narrow it down to 2 before we leave on Sunday. One of the hotels is in Kitty Hawk, NC which is on the northern end of the Outer Banks. I watched a news report from WRAL (Raleigh station) that showed that a lot of the businesses were open and begging people to come back. I can see why they lost a busy summer weekend. They live for summer visitors so they want to recover quickly. I’ve been trying to get a hold of that hotel and see if they are up and running as well because that can eliminate my backup hotel in Elizabeth City, NC. That would leave me with two hotels, the one in Kitty Hawk, which cross my fingers is open, and the one on Hatteras Island. Based on all the information about the breaches along NC Hwy. 12 (the only road), I’m pretty sure there is no way we can reach the hotel. That is of course unless they setup a ferry by the time we need to get there. That would be cool, but if the place is damaged what good would that be? I can’t get a hold of that place either which doesn’t surprise me, I’m not sure if they even have power yet. I have a feeling we are going to be making some important decisions in the middle of our trip. AH Dilemmas!!!!

As with most trips, this one is ever changing. If I didn’t have enough stress trying to figure out the last couple of days, I had the bright idea of checking the Baltimore Orioles schedule. And sure they have a day game one of the days we are in Ocean City, MD. It’s only a 2:30 drive to Baltimore; the game is at 1:05 and the tickets are cheap. So of course my mind is churning. We could make it to yet another MLB Ballpark. But do I really want to drive all the way to Baltimore and all the way back? It is vacation and you are supposed to relax, right? But then again it is a “Kim” trip which means go…go…go…

No comments:

Post a Comment