Extensor Tendonitis

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

So maybe doing a long 6 mile run the night before a transatlantic flight wasn’t the smartest thing I could have done. But lets be honest, I ran 6 miles three times in August and never really had any problems afterwards, why would last night’s run be any different. Well it was.

The Soccer Game
At the last minute, Eric got switched to a different game at a different time. He had to get to Holy Family in Victoria by 5pm. Well there is no way he would get there if I didn’t come with so he could use the car pool lane. So I had a couple options, one was drive home…but that didn’t make any sense because as soon as I would get home from Victoria, I would have to turn around and go back and get him. I could have watched the game but not really of interest to me. I could also go shopping but I didn’t feel like it. So I did what I thought was a great idea…run. But not just a run…a LONG run.

The Run
I dropped Eric off and drove to the Carver Reserve Park. A beautiful park with lots of lakes and a paved running path. I had never been there before so I thought I’d give it a shot. The first mile my feet were burning. I have toe issues with long runs where my toes hurt or go numb. The running store suggested ball cushions. I think they are the reason I’m in pain today. I stopped running after the first mile and took them out. They didn’t work, they made my shoe too tight. I was so relieved when I put my shoe back on. The course was very hilly, much more than I expected (reason 2 for my pain). I struggled through 6 miles. I felt lost for 2 miles because the map at the various intersections had the “you are here” mark in the same spot so I wasn’t really sure where I was during that time. My phone was useless too because it showed me in the lake! Fortunately I found my way back to my car.

The Pain
Almost immediately the pain started on the top of my left foot. It swelled up and now it hurts to walk. Great! I iced it last night and Eric put some Icy Hot on it (he is obsessed with Icy Hot!). That did nothing. I didn’t even feel the cold/hot sensation like I usually do. My foot is still swollen. I have been icing it at work and I’m wearing compression socks to hopefully keep blood flowing and reduce swelling. I think that is the right thing to do but I’m not really sure. I like to self-diagnose and I think it is Extensor Tendonitis.

So to recap, I have a swollen foot and I’m going to board a plane in a few hours for a very long flight with no way to elevate or ice my foot. See the trouble there?  

Not only that but the treatment is to not run...I want to run Iceland. I hope it heals before the last day so I can go run again (before another long flight...maybe not wise!)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…I’m vacation cursed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment