Dreaming about vacation...again

Friday, May 11, 2012

I love my job, no, really I do.  I love that I’m super busy and my days go by fast…most of the year. There are times of the year which are pretty dead and from mid-May through July 4th is one of those times.  We filed our 10-Q last week and I finished up the loose strings this week. Now is when boredom sets in.   Yea, I have projects to do but they really don’t have a hard deadline and I really don’t need to have them done until after July 4th. 
To fill my time (when I’m not on vacation) I’m dreaming of vacations I want to take.  I seriously have over 10 different trip ideas in my head.  Some materialize, some don’t.  Sometimes I take different versions of trips and combine.  For instance, the Mid-Atlantic trip we took in September, I had two separate trips planned 5 years ago that I combined.  I have trips to Hawaii, Iceland & Greenland, Italy, Greece, Drive to Alaska (that one has been planned for 4 years now, I just don’t have 3 weeks of vacation to burn), Key West, FL, and Yosemite, just to name a few. All planned out, I just need the time and the money. 
Yesterday and today I’ve been thinking about our end of year trip.  I don’t have the luxury of taking off in the dead of winter to some warm exotic place like some people.  That’s my busy time, I’m working weekends!  So I always plan trips during the week of Christmas and New Year’s (and let’s not forget my birthday too).  I didn’t always have this tradition.  It really started the year after my dad died.  I know it probably sounds silly, but I don’t want to be around here on my birthday because I associate it with that horrible time.  The last 5 years I’ve been to Mexico, Texas, Vegas, Switzerland and Los Angeles on my birthday. 
So what place I’m I thinking about this year????  Are you dying to know???   Well it is an island in the Caribbean.  They speak English and they have a famous bobsled team.  If you still don’t know, the answer is below.  We will see if it actually happens but that is my No. 1 contender.  I’ve done the research and strangely it is the cheapest if we leave on Christmas Day and come back on New Year’s Day.  I searched all the days around it and the flights are $200 cheap on those specific days.  Weird.  I looked at 4 day hotel/flight packages and they were $400 more than the 7 day package!  Isn’t that crazy?  $400 more for 3 less days!  Sorry family, we are ditching you on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve for the tropics.
In other news, I ran 3.5 miles the other night.  I didn’t really want to.  I got distracted when I was running and realized I was 2 miles into my out and back run.  I could have walked the 2 miles back but I decided it was faster to run. So I ran most of it.  It felt good.  I can’t believe I did that. 
Yesterday we had happy hour at work. It was supposed to start at 3pm.  At 2pm, my director said let’s go!  That was great!  It was such a beautiful day to sit outside in the sun and enjoy a Leinenkugel’s beer.
By the way, the place I want to go for my birthday is Jamaica.
Seven Mile Beach, Negril, Jamaica

No comments:

Post a Comment