Catching up!

Monday, September 25, 2017

I realize it has been a while since I’ve blogged. We have been busy and I really haven’t had much to say.

Since I last wrote…

Labor day - We went to the Minnesota State Fair again, this time with DJ and Tim. We took the bus from Shakopee which unfortunately leaves every hour. We missed the first bus and had to sit forever waiting for the next one. Once at the state fair we headed to Salam’s diner for breakfast. We watched the dog show for a while and walked around the machinery. We took the sky glider back to the main area. DJ watched the Rodeo and Eric and I walked around with Tim. Overall, it was a nice day for the fair. But right before we left a storm came in and it was windy and kind of scary. We took refuge in the Horticulture Building before eventually making our way to the grand stand. Eric and I stood in the rain for almost an hour for Sweet Martha Cookies. They were of course delicious. We ended up spending more time there than I ever imagined!

Later that week – I meet my friends for happy hour and to pick up my new shirt I bought at her Cabi party. Afterwards I joined my friend Jenny, and her kids for Pizza Ranch. Eric had soccer game so he couldn’t come with. Jenny’s kids were sad not to see Eric.

September 9th – DJ came up and we headed to the lakes to training for the Twin Cities marathon. DJ ran laps around Lake Nokomis. Eric was more ambitious and ran from Lake Nokomis to Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun and then back. Unfortunately, he quit after finishing up at Lake Harriet which meant I had to bike the 5 miles back to Lake Nokomis to get the car and find DJ. I got a nice bike ride in. Thankfully it didn’t take too long to find DJ.

That evening we went to our first MLS game. The Minnesota United Football Club (aka the Loons) had a game at TCF Bank Stadium. It was fun to watch the game and I like that it was over by 9pm. The first half was not that exciting even though that was when the goals were scored. The second half seemed to move faster. The game ended in a 1-1 tie. This is why soccer frustrates me…we are happy with a tie.

September 14th – A very exciting game at Target Field. Twins were playing Blue Jays. I love when we play the Jays because I get to hear O Canada! It was an exciting night. It was a close game. We were leading 2-1 at the start of the 9th. But our closer blew it and Blue Jay’s tied it up. We didn’t score in the bottom of the 9th so it went into extra innings. In the bottom of the 10th inning, Byron Buxton came up to bat. I was wearing his shirt so I knew he was going to do something magical…and he did. Home run, another walk off win for the Twins. It was awesome! This was the second night in a row that the Twins won with a walk off home run!


September 16th – Early morning flight to Newark. We got on the plane around 10 am and landed in Newark around 2:30 local time. Newark didn’t seem too big. We had our first ever Uber ride. It was fine. It was cheap. Public transportation from Newark isn’t that great so it would have taken us over an hour to get to our hotel so I decide to try Uber. The ride wasn’t that interesting, the driver never really talked. We got to our hotel safely and dumped our bags and headed for lunch. Cosi, one of my favorite restaurants that sadly closed in Minneapolis was across the street. I had plans to eat here for dinner but after checking the hours, I realized we had to go now as it was closed later. It was delicious as always. Afterwards we just relaxed in our room. We went to 5:30 mass at St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Parish, about a mile from our hotel. The church was huge but the congregation was small. There were only about 40 of us there!  After Mass we walked back to the mall across the street from our hotel for dinner. We ended up at Johnny Rockets for some burgers. Not my usual pre-half marathon dinner but it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment