Turkey Trot 6K

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

I only signed up for this race because I needed a November race (this was before I knew I was going to do Rock ‘N’ Roll Vegas) and it was the fourth race in the MN Run Series which is required to get the race jacket. So I wasn’t really into this race. It is a 6K (3.7 miles) which is an unusual race distance. Why it is a 6K…I don’t know. We got the race just in time to run to the porta-potty and get started (with the walkers). We were running late thanks to a long line of cars trying to get into the parking garage. This race was along my favorite place (*SARCASM*) in the whole world…Sheppard Road. Another out and back on good ole’ Sheppard Road. I really need to look at my races next year and try and minimize my Shepard Road races. I just dread it, concrete, no scenery, always requires and out and back race. Argh.

This was probably the warmest Thanksgiving Day race we have done at 34 degrees. This is technically our 5the turkey day race. We ran on Thanksgiving the last 4 years and once in 2008. So we started with the walkers which meant a lot of weaving around them for the first mile. My goal for this race was to complete it in 50 minutes. I wasn’t really in the mood to run fast. I tried straight running and that lasted about 5 minutes and I finally said “screw it” and did a run/walk strategy. This wasn’t an important race for me and I didn’t want to run too fast and hurt myself before my next half marathon in 14 days. There really isn’t much to say about the race except that it was almost a quarter of a mile too long (3.9 miles) and there was no water stop. My overall time was 49:38 so I just barely made my goal for under 50 minutes. But if it would have been the proper distance I would have been right around 47 minutes. Once we finished we stood in a long line to get our medal and then another long line for water and food. Overall it wasn’t a pleasant experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment