Just call me a Book Worm

Monday, November 21, 2011

I'll admitted when I start something I go all out.  Well lately it has been reading.  I bought a Nook about 6 months ago and haven't really used it until about a month ago.  Wow do I LOVE IT.  It came with 100 classics and I have also been checking out eBooks from the library. I think Eric is starting to miss me as I constantly have my nose in a book (or I guess my nook).  In the past couple of weeks I have read the following books (with my comments):

George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I
 - Another piece of history but it was a 600 page whopper.  I learned a lot but it was very dry at times.  Thankfully I mixed in some fun stuff between chapters.  The benefit of having a Nook eReaders is having 100 books at my disposal at any time.


Bad Dog: A Love Story
 -  Interesting story, kind of corny.

The Dirty Parts of the Bible - It is not what you think but very funny, it was a 300 page book I finished in one day.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - A classic but I don't get the point.

Great Expectations - Another classic but OMG it was bbbboooorrriingg and looonnng...that was the first book I tackled on the Nook....boy was that mistake it seriously took me weeks to finish.

Sh*t My Dad Says - I laughed my ass off.  It was so funny but very profane!

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin - A very interesting true story...wow the Ambassador's daughter was a Nazi slut!

The Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Medicine, Madness & the Murder of a President - Probably the best book I have read in a really long time.  It is ironic that this book is about President Garfield and the Garfield dollar coin was just released by the U.S. Mint on Nov. 17th.  I have a funny story about that...check it out below.

Decision Points - I'm not that big of a George Bush fan but this book really changed my opinion of him and his presidency.  People blamed him for a lot things that were out his control.  Blame for the Katrina debacle is on the Louisiana Governor's head not Bushes.

Answering 911 - A book of short stories from a 911 operator and her experiences.  It was a lot sadder than I expected.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - LOVED THIS BOOK!  But it made me cry in the end.  Of course I knew Dewey was going to die but it was stills sad.

Beware of Cat: And Other Encounters of a Letter Carrier - A good book for short stories.  It was really short and I read it a few hours.

I currently at reading:
A Christmas Carol
Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

Good thing after tomorrow I don't have to go back to work for 5 days so I can finish these books. :-)

Garfield Coin Story
Setting: TCF Bank counter and my conversation with the teller:

Kim:  Hey do you have the new dollar coin?
Teller: (blank stare, no response)
Kim: It was released yesterday, its Garfield
Teller:  The cat?
Kim:  No the President, on the new dollar coin...
Teller:  There was a president named Garfield.
Kim:  Um, yes.  He was assassinated 1881. (I assume people would at least know all the presidents who have been assassinated ...there have only been 4)
Teller:  Huh, nope don't have any of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment